Monday, January 27, 2014

Lecture Reflection 1/27


A lot of important concepts stood out to me in today's lecture and I got a lot of good ideas on how to promote literacy in the classroom in a fun way. It was interesting to see that a lot of what we talked about in class, I was able to relate to what I observed in my fieldwork.
Today I learned that literacy centers, also known as "stations", allow students to work independently and it is fun for them because they get to move around. I also learned it is important for teachers to make sure that the literacy centers are connected to the whole group instruction, incorporating the same ideas and reinforcing the lesson. I saw that during this time, the teacher should work with students who need more individualized attention. When we talked about this in class, I remember observing this in my fieldwork. The teacher in this third grade classroom sat with small group of about five students at a table in the back, and worked with them as the other students sat with a partner or by themselves reading or listening to stories on tape. I thought this was very special and it was clear that the students who would have otherwise felt lost or left behind, were enjoying the attention and were learning more as a result.
Something else from today's lecture that I would really like to incorporate in my classroom is the "I Can" list. As mentioned in class, having students write down a list of things they can do gives them a sense of ownership and feeling that they can take control in their own learning. I think this "I Can" list is empowering for them and visually points out what they can do rather than what they struggle with. Positivity is always better than negativity, and if they take the time to think about and focus on all the things they can do, it will give them a more positive attitude about learning and they will have more self-confidence in their abilities.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment